Tuesday, September 6, 2011

NonFiction Review: A Belle In Brooklyn by Demetria Lucas

A Belle in Brooklyn: Advice for Living Your Single Life and Enjoying Mr. Right Now by Demetria L Lucas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I always, ALWAYS try and keep an open mind when reading. I also try and keep an open mind in terms of the differences and similarities of married and single lives. I try and read lots of books on dating and single life, because they truly benefit relationships as a whole, and not just new ones. With all that being said, this book was a perfect fit for me.

First of all, I have to admit that what I enjoyed most about Ms. Lucas' book...is Ms. Lucas. I may not agree with each and every philosophy or idea she presents, but I am greatly impressed and supportive of her reasoning behind them (if that makes sense). Her blues aren't like mine: I was married for most of my twenties while she explored singlehood and what it had to offer, but she is a thinker. And as a thinker, I feel on some level we are kindred spirits.


Demetria's blog and one of my own were both up for Black Weblog awards in 2010, (two different categories), and that was how I first found her writing. She was funny and practical, things I value very much. I visited a few times and soon began to think, as another reviewer said, that she did seem to be somewhat of a real Carrie Bradshaw. As I read this book, however, I found her to be much more than that. This book is what SHOULD have been getting women motivated to date smarter, not that tripe rag Steve Harvey put out.

A self-aware woman is a gem. They can recount events and people with enough detail to give you the lesson learned, but not the bitterness or regrets. These short vignettes into Belle's dating twenties, were done in such a way that I never once felt anger or even more than heavy frustration for her male counterparts. She told what went down, how she took it, and where things left off. Quick and to the point without the b.s. found in most single women books. This was not the book that would have you "exhaling" in a Terry McMillan fashion. Men were men, not enemies. Women were women. Not lovesick fools.

One other thing that I think all women (or men) should take from this book is that dating is dating. It is not a means to an end. The good times, good meals, or good friends you gain from dating are not equivalent to failures if they don't result in wedding bells. This book was not at all about being single or being in a relationship, despite the title or the description. This book was about being self-reliant, self-aware, and intrinsically motivated.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Photobucket

0 people wrote some stuff:

Post a Comment