Friday, July 29, 2011

Storytime Theme: Yummy In My Tummy!

Who doesn't like a good story about food?  Eating tends to bring people together.  It gets us all started talking about what we like and don't like, and it's the one thing that ALL of us do.  No matter who we are, where we live, or what we believe in, we all eat something.

There are so many great picture books about food that I just couldn't fit them all into this one list, and I'm sure you can find others you like if none of these get your stomach grumbling.  One word of caution though:  if you choose to do this theme for your library or home storytime, I would advise having an edible treat for your kiddos (and yourself) immediately afterwards.  Reading about all these tasty tidbits will have everyone leaving a little peckish.



Opening Song:
If You're Hungry and You Know It (to the tune of If You're Happy And You Know It)
(I'm still working on this one.  It boggles my mind that no one else has written this before.  And if you know of someone who has, send the info my way!)
If you're hungry and you know it shout Yum Yum!
If you're hungry and you know it shout Yum Yum!
If you're hungry and you know it, then your tum will surely know it
If you're hungry and you know it, shout Yum Yum!

First Book:  Harry Hungry by Steven Salerno

Action Poem/Song:

Hot Potato by The Wiggles





Second Book:
The Little Mouse, The Red Rip Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood


Action Poem/Song:
I Am A Strawberry
(Tune: I'm A Little Teapot)
I am a strawberry,
Red and sweet.
See all my seeds
And my cap so neat.

When I grow ripe
And ready to eat,
Pop off my cap--
A tasty treat!
courtesy of YSO Storytime Wiki





Closing Book:
On Top of Spaghetti by Paul Brett Johnson


Closing Song/Craft
Listening and Singing along to the On Top of Spaghetti Song


Making Pizza!
We'll be using our brown butcher paper as dough and cutting out "toppings from construction paper.





Additional Books for Babies and Toddlers
Today is Monday by Eric Carle
Burger Boy by Alan Durant
Orange Pear Apple Bear Emily Gravett
Night of the Veggie Monster by George McClements
Bear Wants More! by Karma Wilson

Additional Books for Preschoolers
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Yummy,Yummy! Food for my tummy! by Sam Lloyd
The King's Taster by Kenneth Oppel
Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Sylvie by Jennifer Gordon Sattler
The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson




Additional Songs:

Apples and Bananas
I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas 
I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas 
I like to ate, ate, ate ay-ples and ba-nay-nays 
I like to ate, ate, ate ay-ples and ba-nay-nays 
I like to eat, eat, eat ee-ples and bee-nee-nees 
I like to eat, eat, eat ee-ples and bee-nee-nees
I like to ite, ite, ite i-ples and by-ny-nys 
I like to ite, ite, ite i-ples and by-ny-nys 
I like to ote, ote, ote oh-ples and bo-no-nos 
I like to ote, ote, ote oh-ples and bo-no-nos 
I like to oot, oot, oot oo-ples and boo-noo-noos 
I like to oot, oot, oot oo-ples and boo-noo-noos
Copied from MetroLyrics.com

On Top of Spaghetti


On top of spaghetti, 
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball, 
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden,
And under a bush,
And then my poor meatball,
Was nothing but mush.

The mush was as tasty
As tasty could be,
And then the next summer, 
It grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered,
All covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs,
And tomato sauce.

So if you eat spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball,
Whenever you sneeze
Lyrics from Scoutsongs.com



Photobucket

0 people wrote some stuff:

Post a Comment